Monday, June 11, 2012

Stop Lying, You Unamerican Jerks

I'm glad I don't live in New York.  There are lots of reasons for this, but the most recent comes out of PS 90 (note: When you have so many schools that you've run out of names, it might be time to look at the situation), in Brooklyn, New York.

The Principle, Greta Hawkins, vetoed the use of the Lee Greenwood's song, "God Bless the USA," in their Kindergarten graduation.  She claimed this was because it is not "age appropriate."  Really?  One of the most wholesome songs in the history of ever is not "age appropriate?"  City Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott specified that the problem was with the song's opening verse.  "If tomorrow all the things were gone/I'd worked for all my life/And I had to start again/with just my children and my wife..."  Apparently this is too traumatic an idea for 5 year old boys and girls.  Also, apparently, it's an offensive idea to some cultures that bad things could happen to you.

What else am I supposed to take from this quote (from the article) "Staffers quoted Hawkins as saying, "We don't want to offend other cultures."

Okay.  Maybe I'm being too harsh.  In the "special snowflake" society Liberals are attempting to build, maybe that level of conflict isn't age appropriate.  So what is? 

Well, according to Ms. Hawkins, an age appropriate song would be Justin Beiber's "Baby."  Let's take a look at that, shall we? (By the way, Ms. Hawkins, thank you so much for making me acknowledge the existence of Justin Beiber.)

"You know you love me, I know you care/Just shout whenever, and I'll be there/You are my love, you are my heart/And we will never, ever, ever be apart."

Later:

"For you, I would have done whatever/And I just can't believe we're here together/And I wanna play it cool, but I'm losin' you/I'll buy you anything, I'll buy you any ring."

Hmmm... those seem somewhat less than age appropriate for 5 year olds as well.  I mean, that "I'll buy you any ring" comment seems to be suggesting something a little grown up, wouldn't you say?  Oh, but let's look at the last verse:

"She made my heart pound/I skip a beat when i see her in the street/And at school on the playground/But I really wanna see her on a weekend/She know she got me dazin' 'cause she was so amazin'/And now my heart is breakin' but I just keep on sayin'"

Okay, besides the terrible lyrics (really, who wrote this drivel?) that's about as explicit as you're going to get in a teeny-bopper song.  But, somehow, that is more "age appropriate" than God Bless the USA?  No.  It's not.  Mr. Walcott and Ms. Hawkins both know this, and they're trying to cover up the truth: they are both Unamerican bigots who believe that being proud of America is something of which to be ashamed.

We get it: it's embarrassing to sing a song that, at its heart, has the idea that America is both quantitatively and qualitatively better than any other nation on the planet.  Well, it is to you, oh New York Liberals.  To the rest of us, however, it's the way we feel.  It's what we believe.

So veto the song if you want, but don't lie about it.

And, for the rest of us: a little taste of American Pride

2 comments:

  1. hey man I got locked out of AoS- do you know how one gets back in? I'm a long time commenter there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll need to email Ace and maybe the cob-loggers to get yourself un-banned.

      Did you get caught in the great smiting over the weekend?

      Delete