Monday, July 16, 2012

#BrettKimberlin Update: Response from Rep. Joe Barton

I wrote an Open Letter to Congressman Joe Barton (TX-6) back in May regarding Brett Kimberlin, his Justice Through Music Project, and his Velvet Revolution organization.  Specifically, I requested some steps from Representative Barton.

Well, Mr. Barton has replied- for which I thank him, but I think he missed the point.  Reproduced here is his response (leaving out the salutation):

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about Brett Kimberlin. I appreciate hearing from you, and I am glad that you keep an active political blog.

Brett Kimberlin is indeed a dangerous man who has committed multiple crimes. You are correct in that Mr. Kimberlin has organized both the "Velvet Revolution" and the "Justice Through Music Project." According to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), Velvet Revolution is a 501(c)(4) organization and the Justice Through Music Project is a 501(c)(3) organization. 

The IRS is required to hold all tax-exempt organizations according to section 7801 of the Internal Revenue Code. More specifically, those organizations are required to disclose public documents to ensure that they are complying with the current law. For more information, please visit the following link: http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=135008,00.html. 

In your letter, you state that you believe the IRS should require organizations to not allow their principles, officers, or employees to engage in any type of harassment or hindrance of free speech. You also suggest that the IRS require organizations to not allow their principles and officers to represent themselves "pro se" in court. To ensure that the IRS is aware of your ideas, I strongly encourage you to file a complaint with the agency. Information on how to do this can be found by using the following link: http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=178241,00.html. 

Mr. Barton: I appreciate your response, but my request was of you.  You see, the IRS is a singularly unaccountable agency.  Certainly I will be contacting the IRS about this issue, but that's all I can do, and they are highly unlikely to listen to me at any rate.

You, on the other hand, have a position of authority.  You can request, with the power of a Congressional Seat, that the IRS investigate, while my letter will languish on some desk for weeks or months.  You can read Mr. Kimberlin's record into the Congressional Record to stop his lawfare tactics cold.  Telling me what I can do is good- doing something for your constitutents would be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment