Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Why I'm Thankful

So, in the spirit of Thanksgiving (and, er, thanksgiving), I thought it appropriate to say what I'm thankful for.  I won't be around tomorrow or Friday because I'll be hanging out with my family, so I figured I'd do it now.

I'm thankful that God the Son chose to descend into his own creation, live a mortal life, and die by vicious torture, all so that my sins, and yours could be forgiven.

I'm thankful that I live in a country of free men, created by free men, and defended by free men.

I'm thankful that I have a somewhat successful career, and can provide for my family.

I'm thankful for two loving parents, married to no one but each other, and the advantages that "accident of birth" gave me.

I'm thankful my mom didn't exercise her "rights" as dictated by the Supreme Court under Roe v Wade (I was an unplanned pregnancy).

I'm thankful for my father, uncle, and brother who all served in the United States Military.

I'm thankful for my mother, who reared me to be the man I am.

I'm thankful for my wife and my children; I would be an empty husk without them.

I'm thankful that, in our worst times, when we could barely make ends meet, that my wife and I are part of the richest nation ever to grace the planet.  I'm thankful that I have the ability to be annoyed when traffic backs up.  I'm thankful that I can be vexed when the coffee pot breaks.

I'm thankful for ace, the cob-loggers, and the rest of the Moron Horde at at the AoSHQ.

Whatever else is true, I know that I am one of the most blessed people ever to walk the face of this earth.  Sometimes I lose sight of that, and complain about things that don't matter.  So sometimes I have to remind myself:

I'm thankful I don't have to worry where my next meal will come from.

I'm thankful I don't have to worry if my children will die from malnutrition or disease.

I'm thankful I don't have to boil my water before I drink it.

I'm thankful I don't have to worry about missing work if I'm sick.

I'm thankful I don't have to work all day, every day, just to survive.

Not everyone has all of these blessings.

1 comment: